Things I am craving
But that I can’t find in London. Blarg!
1. Dill Pickles. Proper garlicky, dilly, vinegar-y pickles. With no sweetness/sugar in them. The kind served beside sandwiches in deli’s in North America. Apparently they do not exist here. And even though Beans and my husband are enjoying gobbling up all the jars I keep buying and rejecting, I find my craving intensifying every minute. I may break down and try to make my own soon.
2. Yves brand Veggie Hot Dogs. I know there are other brands of hot dogs here. But I don’t want them. I want the one’s I ate growing up. It’s cruel to deny a pregnant woman this simple wish.
3. Perogies. The frozen, quick meal kind. I also know I can make some myself. But I think what I’m really craving is that overly processed, mildly unhealthy taste to them. If I made them myself, I’d end up using whole wheat flour instead of white, and probably leave the cheese out all together. I’m not saying they won’t be delicious, but they won’t be the same. Also I think what I’m really after here is a quick, no-fuss meal and making them myself is a anything but. It would also involve a lot of dishes and time and I’d rather just pull a bag out of the freezer and call it a day. And how good are these with sour cream and caramalized onions. My mouth is watering.
4. Smoked Tofu. I’ve heard a rumour there are places in London that sell more than just firm tofu, even though that’s all I’ve found so far. (It’s true folks, no extra-firm, tofu, which was what I used most back in Canada). I will be packing up the Beans and dragging her around the city soon in search of different tofu. Especially since I think she misses smoked tofu too. Because it is amazing.
5. Bagels. In Victoria we lived a block and a half away from a bagel shop. So we often stopped on our way home from walking the dog to pick up fresh, still warm, bagels on a regular basis. These Montreal style bagels put all grocery-store bagels to shame. So much that I can’t eat them. I really just want a nice Everything Bagel smeared with Tofutti cream cheese. Am I asking too much?
On a slight tangent, if you ever do find yourself in Victoria go get yourself some of the bagels at Mount Royal Bagel Co. and then walk around the block to the Fernwood Coffee Co. That coffee place ruined all other coffee for me, I didn’t even mind giving it up this pregnancy, since I’ve yet to find any coffee even half as good as theirs. So if anyone knows of any good independent coffee shops that roast their own beans in London, please let me know. I will travel great distances for a decent cup of brew (at least I will in approximately 6 months when I let myself drink coffee again).